At the dawn of the new millennium, Ian Schrager’s W Hotels redefined fashionable travel for a generation seeking milieux that were luxurious yet modern and approachable. Step into a W, and you knew you were in for clean lines, alluring colour combinations, dreamy ambient music and boundary-bending mixology and cuisine.
Like modern travellers, Mr Schrager has moved on and through his new Edition hotel collection, rethought modern luxury … again. At the start of this year, there are 11 hotels around the globe poised to welcome guests back to the world of travel, and with new spins that connect more meaningfully and directly to their respective locales. In addition to a second property in Olympic city Tokyo, six other properties—Rome, Madrid, Dubai, Reykjavik and Tampa, Mexico’s Riviera Maya at Kanai—will join the line-up in summer and fall 2021 with more in the years to follow.
Under Schrager’s direction and in partnership with Marriott Hotels and world-renowned architects and designers from the various regions, Edition Hotels reconcile the one-of-a-kind boutique sensibility and a pride of place—décor curated specifically for the locale’s culture and social life—with the operational expertise of Marriott International.
While we anxiously await hitting the road again in style (because we’re worth it), here are a few notes on the properties that will give everybody something to look forward to.
• The Reykjavik Edition (summer 2021): the 253 room Reykjavik Edition, adjoining the landmark Harpa Concert Hall, is centrally located in one of the most exciting and scenic part of Iceland’s historical capital.
• The Tokyo Edition, Ginza (fall 2021): following on the heels of the Tokyo Edition, Toranomon, the intimate 78-room Tokyo Edition, Ginza will bring three incredible food and beverage destinations including rooftop bar, meeting studio and a state-of-the-art fitness centre to one of the city’s most prestigious neighbourhood.
• The Rome Edition (fall 2021): the collection’s first Italian property, a few steps from via Veneto and Bernini’s Tritone Fountain in Piazza Barberini, will feature 95 guest rooms and suites, including a Penthouse suite with a private 1,300 ft² terrace. It promises to add unapologetic modern flair to the Eternal City with its Punch Room Bar (as it wouldn’t be a Schrager property without exceptionally crafted cocktails) and a rooftop terrace where guests can have the choice of a seasonal bite, a drink overlooking the city, a private gathering with friends, or all of the above.
• The Madrid Edition (fall 2021): located steps from the Puerta Del Sol and the Golden Triangle of Art, the property will house 200 beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites, some with terraces. Five unique food and beverage outlets including a signature restaurant, cocktail bar, Sky Bar and rooftop terrace, together with an outdoor pool, state-of-the-art fitness centre and spa.
• The Dubai Edition (fall 2021) opens opposite the world-famous Dubai Mall at the heart of the Middle East’s most popular travel destination. A design LW Design Group LLC continues the theme of extreme but tasteful opulence through 210 rooms and suites, three food and beverage outlets, pool, spa and fitness centre and a dynamic events’ space boasting multiple meeting rooms and a ballroom.
• The Riviera Maya Edition at Kanai (winter 2021): the property houses 180 guest rooms and suites situated within the luxurious Kanai beachfront development. It will be home to six food and beverage outlets including a signature restaurant, pool bar and beach club, destination spa and an expansive penthouse suite. In addition to multiple meeting spaces, the hotel will also house an extensive outdoor deck for large-scale events and parties.
• The Tampa Edition (winter 2021) will be the fifth US property from Edition Hotels, further gracing the 56-acre Water Street Tampa district. New York-based architecture practice Morris Adjmi and Florida-based firm Nichols Brosch Wurst Wolfe & Associates join forces with interior design firm, the renowned Roman & Williams, to capture Schrager’s vision of what defines the good life in Florida. The property will have 172 guest rooms and suites and six F&B outlets, including a signature restaurant, rooftop bar and terrace. The property will also feature an expansive spa, fitness centre and ample, adaptable meeting space.
Edition currently operates 11 hotels in New York, London, Miami Beach, West Hollywood, Barcelona, Shanghai, Sanya, Abu Dhabi, Bodrum and Tokyo. For updates on opening and hotel happenings, visit editionhotels.com.
Leave a Comment